Thursday, April 30, 2009

Popular Mechanics?

    These have been hanging around in my iPhoto for a while. I stumbled across these old articles from ancient issues of Popular Mechanics--there were more but you get the idea...




     The inflatable "trunks" are especially attractive. I started to wonder why they call them "trunks" anyway and found this on Yahoo answers...

"I think it derives from the term 'trunk hose' used in the 16th and 17th centuries to describe the full, baglike breeches worn by men, covering the body from the waist to the middle of the thigh or lower, sometimes having stockings attached in one piece.
Seems a logical derivation to shorten in recent times to 'trunks'?"

   Hose? Baglike? Trunk? Seems perfectly logical to me. I then googled "vintage swimwear" and found this. Obviously chicks dig a guy rockin' a pipe in his Jantzens...


     This definitely isn't vintage (I don't think) but it somehow seemed worth a post...




3 comments:

Lianne said...

I just want to know why a non-swimmer would WANT to go swimming in deep water. Things that make you go hmmm...

Dan Johnson said...

You got that right, I tried it when I was in Australia--what an idiot...

Lianne said...

And what's up with "Lure HIM away from the pool boy"? What's he doing with the pool boy --skimming?
Est ut a pipio in vestri sinus vel es vos iustus gauisus video vidi visum mihi?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin