Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Electrician...


     I was at work today when the electrician showed up about 1:00 PM or so. We've only worked with each other on this particular job so I don't really know him that well but we did sort of bond around the fact that we both hate our tattoos and regret getting them--but that's another story. As he walked past me he said, "I'm so hungover today, I shouldn't even be here" and kept going (he had actually said this to me a few days earlier and I jokingly replied, "Everyday...").

     About half an hour had gone by when I thought I'd ask him, "What's hungover? 10 or 12 drinks?" He sort of grunted and walked on by. A little while later I decided on another attempt at conversation so I asked him. "Drinking tonight?" To which he promptly replied, "No, I've been on a four day bender, I've been drinking since Friday with the "old lady." (He's probably 40 or so but I'm always surprised how often I hear "the old lady" or "the wife" on the job--even from younger guys). 

    I proceeded to ask him if he just stayed at home and drank to which his answer was, "Yeah, me and the old lady ain't been gettin' along lately." I immediately said, tongue in cheek, "There's nothing like a four day bender to sort out your relationships problems." He didn't really seem to "get it" and simply replied, "Yeah, until you sober up." All that came to mind for me after that was, "Aah... ain't love grand."-- and this classic by by Elvin Bishop...you only need to listen to the first line...

2 comments:

Lianne said...

It all comes back to Mickey in Barfly, doesn't it?

Dan Johnson said...

Ha! Always! The best...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin