Friday, April 3, 2009

Let's Go Back...


    When I woke up this morning, I found myself trying to remember what songs were on the soundtrack to the movie Pretty In Pink. I can't recall using the word  before but this film and soundtrack are "quintessential" eighties standards for me; A. because I loved the movie and 2. how influential the music was. I had always tried to seek out new music in the past and was again excited by a whole new direction and alternative world of music ...

"If You Leave" - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, 4:25
"Left of Center" - Suzanne Vega / Joe Jackson, 3:33
"Get to Know Ya" - Jesse Johnson, 3:34
"Do Wot You Do" - INXS, 3:16
"Pretty in Pink" - The Psychedelic Furs, 4:40
"Shellshock" - New Order, 6:04
"Round, Round" - Belouis Some, 4:07
"Wouldn't It Be Good" - Danny Hutton Hitters, 3:44
"Bring On the Dancing Horses" - Echo & the Bunnymen, 3:59
"Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" - The Smiths, 1:51

    I have no idea who Jesse Johnson or Belouis Some are and what happened to them but I am amazed at the music this album introduced me to. OMD, Suzanne Vega, INXS, The Furs (the title song was actually the inspiration for the movie), New Order (one of my favorite bands ever), Echo and last but not least the Smiths. 

    It seems funny now but I was living in Port Moody at the time and "guys" just didn't listen to this type of music. It had to be Stones, AC/DC, Joan Jett, Springsteen, Mellancamp, The Clash (not that there's anything wrong with that) so I kept PIP hidden from my friends and listened to it as my guilty pleasure. The soundtrack  became a springboard to me discovering other new music as well; The Cure (Kiss Me,Kiss Me, Kiss Me was another hidden classic), Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys and REM. I never wanted to admit it to my buddies at the time but I always liked Duran Duran as well- even though I pretended not to...


   


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin