Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rourke vs. Penn...

    The first time I saw Mickey Rourke in a movie was this scene from Body Heat, I never forgot it. You could tell he had "something"...



    
    Sean Penn and Mickey Rourke have always been two of my favorite actors and watching the Oscars this year I hadn't seen either movie they were nominated for-- but I was drawn to Rourke as my sentimental favorite. I watched "Milk" a little while ago and as deserving of the Oscar as Penn was for his flawless performance as Harvey Milk...



      I finally saw "The Wrestler" yesterday and Rourke's performance was equally phenomenal. If I was a member of the Academy it would have been tough call but I think Mr. Rourke would have received my vote. Marisa Tomei was awesome in this as well...



    ...and the soundtrack made great use of eighties music... 

4 comments:

drollgirl said...

i have to admit i loved the soundtrack too!!!! i have not seen milk yet, but plan to. both those dudes are great. truly great actors. but mickey has changed a LOT and is sort of hard to look at now. oy. but still a great actor!

Dan Johnson said...

Kind of like Marlon Brando...hard to look at as they aged... but Rourke was buffed in Wrestler. His lips are too big...

Lianne said...

I saw Milk and thought Sean Penn was amazing though the film was a little flat. Can't wait to see The Wrestler and have always loved Mickey (don't even get me started on BarFly) -- he was so hot and such a bad boy. You are right about the aging thing, sometimes painful to watch. I raise my glass to Mickey...

Dan Johnson said...

Mmmm, Barfly...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin