Monday, April 14, 2008

Using Up the Roll...(Not toilet paper)

    Until the advent of the Kodak Instamatic camera, all our family photos were taken with the old Kodak Brownie Hawkeye... the one with the flash bulbs that would blind you for half an hour on Christmas Eve...






     I was going through some old photos when I came across these classics. Occasionally Mom would say, " I have some film left in the camera, go outside and do something so I can use it up." These are some of those photos taken with the Brownie...  


    Bobby Walsh, Dennis Bassanesse and I in my first pair of North Stars... I really wanted Adidas Rom but I let that slide... it was the summer I got my first mustang bike. After supper (we still had supper then not dinner) one night Dad said," Come on we're going for a drive." He took me to Caps Bicycle (you wouldn't believe the trouble I just had spelling "bicycle") and surprised me by saying, "Pick out any bike you want." I chose a metallic green CCM, sissy bar, white banana seat with a green metallic stripe down the middle... fantastic. You'll have to excuse the little trip down memory lane but whatever... it's my blog...


    This wasn't a "use up the roll" shot but it's my new bike... chawesome. See my sister's white socks pulled up?  Mom would fight with her about using elastic bands to keep them up. She would say, " You've pulled on those socks so hard your toes are curled up and those elastics are cutting off the circulation to your feet." Sis would just put the elastics on on the way to school. The things you girls do for fashion... 




     Back to using up the roll...


    I have no idea what we were doing here but it looks like Dennis got to be "Lucky Pierre"...

       Roll finished... off to Cunningham Drugs for developing. Memories of red pistachios and mixed nuts roasting behind glass in that two tray system and an older lady behind the counter with the bee-hive hairdo, false eyelashes, long red fingernails with matching lips, horn-rimmed glasses on a chain around her turkey neck and leathery skin and man voice from way too many Benson and Hedges 100's. 








 

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin