Friday, April 25, 2008

Starbucks and the Cleanse...





     I heard a little while ago that Starbucks profits were down (that's a shame). I've always thought that if Starbucks really wanted to increase their profits they should apply for their liquor license and serve specialty coffees. How about a nice caramel Baileys latte to jump start your Sunday morning? After the show ? A Monte Cristo might go down nicely, or perhaps their specialty.... the Italian coffee (equal parts Sambuca and Tia Maria topped with coffee and whipping cream... delicious). Big meeting with the boss? Doesn't always have to be a coffee drink, try a Blueberry tea... Grand Marnier and Amaretto topped off with your favorite tea and a cinnamon stick, could be the perfect way to take the "edge" off.  Let's get civilized...





    I'm feeling the need to comment on "the cleanse" as seemingly every female I know is or has been on one lately. Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against them, I've even tried a couple myself and I'm all for anything anyone is willing to do to improve their health. A cleanse may even be a great way to shed a few pounds and possibly change your eating habits, with a big emphasis on possibly. After doing some limited research I found as with most things, there are conflicting opinions about the benefits of the cleanse but I did find this quote from an anatomy/physiology professor after a patient had been sent to him by his doctor. As he put it, "It's B.S., as your colon turns over every four to five days anyway. If anything it can do more harm than good, you mess with normal flora and you may get a really good cleansing." I'm not too sure what the last part of that quote means but you get the gist of  it.
    There is enough information available now to everyone about diet, nutrition and exercise. I know how hard it is to keep to any kind of menu adjustment but it isn't rocket surgery... move more and eat less. Drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruits, grains and vegetables, limit carbs, dairy and alcohol, blah, blah, blah (all of which I'm mediocre at, at best) What I see with the cleanse though is that people do well for a couple of weeks, thinking it's a miracle cure, and then settle nicely back into their old ways (myself included) totally undermining any benefits they may have achieved. I wonder sometimes if it isn't just another form of snake oil... it's been around for a long time..


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin