Thursday, April 3, 2008

Loaf...


    I was raised on good old fashioned Sunbeam white bread. For a while I thought this was the only bread on the planet until I saw some being "sliced" in a "bakery"... who knew? There's a good chance that I may have been born before whole wheat bread. One time Mom brought home a white loaf with sesame seeds glued to the crust and I thought she was trying to kill me. I guess over time bread has evolved with all the different grain combinations ( I didn't even know there were 16 grains) to kamut, flax seed, gluten free etc.

     It's hard to see in the photo but those are two loaves of Squirrely Bread in my freezer ( I'm sure this wasn't the bread Jesus used to feed the 3000, he wouldn't have made any converts). It's gluten free (I kind of know what that is but don't), is made with sprouted grains and is high in fibre (never was a problem before) and is supposed to be good for you. Working in construction I've eaten my fair share of sandwiches and for the last few years I've tried to use Squirrely bread when making my lunch. This one day I'm at work, eating a sandwich looking out the window when the thought strikes me," Fuck this bread dry and hard to eat, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to eat it anymore!" Somehow I've been made to feel guilty for eating white bread... 

     Recently a Cobs Bread bakery was put in the Lonsdale Quay and walking by it one day I stopped for a look. On the shelves among the many varieties was a bread called Lo GI white block. The counter person told me it was lo- carb something or other, gluten whatever, but kind of a better for you white bread. I was sold. Like an alcoholic leaving the liquor store after an extended period of sobriety I smuggled the loaf home. I have to say that bread was like heaven! Soft and squishy with a chewy crust, delicious... I was looking forward to lunches again! White bread without all the guilt...

      Now that I was livin' life on the edge again I went for it and tried this deadly combination, but Wonder Bread is second rate compared to my new found friend. 



      Off to work, looking forward to lunch... I just noticed that sandwich is trying to speak to me... that or it looks an awful lot like...

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin