Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Nutrition...

     About a year and a half ago an infomercial came on the radio for this product. By the time it was finished I was completely sold and was jotting down the 1-800 number. While I'm not usually a sucker for snake oil salesmen (although I have had my moments) this seemed the ideal way to get my omega 3 fish oils (whatever they are) since I don't eat a lot of fish. I ordered it and they proceeded to send me two bottles every two months. In the first month they recommend taking four of the football shaped gel tabs a day (of course they do) and then two daily after that. Whether it's psychological or not I felt better taking them but as per usual with vitamins my intake tapered off and the bottles began to pile up. I simply couldn't get caught up and I must have had eight or so in the cupboard. Out of guilt and frustration I called the company to cancel my order and the salesmen told me if  I cancel now I'll never get this pricing again (suuure) so he suggested putting deliveries on hold and he'd call back in a couple of months to remind me, which he did. The problem is that when he phoned I didn't recognize the number (call screening), I never checked my messages and the bottles started to show up again. It's an American company which makes it difficult to get through to them on the phone so rather than cancel I'm trying really hard to stay caught up. It's been three months... so far so good...

      I was watching this cooking show and the chef was using blueberries as an ingredient in a few of his recipes. He proceeded to tell how blueberries are very high in anti-oxidants. Having heard this term a hundred times I new it was something good for you but not really sure what or why. Apparently they are biochemicals that prevent the content of your blood and cells from being oxidized by free radicals (the bad guys) hence the name anti-oxidant. Free radicals are rogue chemicals that disrupt the normal function of your body so anti-oxidants basically help cleanse your blood (and some wine, I don't know if it does anything but I feel better).
    Once again I was sold and being a little bit of an anxious, all or nothing, obsessive/compulsive, bipolar manic depressive I went grocery shopping and naturally had to buy all things blueberry (as you can see in the photo). I drank some of the juice this morning and put the spread on 16 grain sprouted bread with a smear of roasted almond butter... both products quite delicious. We'll see how long this attempt at nutrition lasts... wish me luck. 

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin