Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sweeney Todd and Mac...


     I watch a lot of movies, I'm a huge fan, but in no way am I a movie critic (well maybe a little). That having been said, last night I watched Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter (very nice cleavage, I must say). It was well done and I really enjoyed it but.... it struck me as a movie that could have been better had it not been treated as a musical. There is a fair bit of dialogue but I found myself thinking, "Please, no more singing." I realize it was a successful Broadway play and I have always enjoyed Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's collaborations (Ed Wood a personal favorite) but I could have done without the singing even though some of the songs were quite good.
    I may be a little biased because I've never really been a musical enthusiast but I do keep Cabaret, Chicago and Moulin Rouge in my hip pocket as three favorites, musical or otherwise. I've even seen Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Nutcracker(I said pardon...), Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Chorus Line live. None of these had the violence factor however of Sweeney Todd. Maybe I missed Tim Burton's sense of humour but for this movie fan extreme violence and the musical genre are less than a perfect match. Having said all that the movie was so good maybe I need to watch it again. It could be like some songs, the more you listen the more you like... or not.  
    On a bit of a sidebar I woke up about 5:00 AM to the beginnings of Pirates of Penzance (Gilbert and Sullivan) with Kevin Kline and Linda Ronstadt on the tube... now that's a bad musical...

    Yesterday I had the day off and found myself wandering around the mall with the other zombies. Browsing the computers in Future Shop I spotted the cordless Mighty Mouse for my Mac. The scroller hasn't worked for a while so I called my tech expert George Harvey for some advice. After a brief conversation I purchased one and brought it home. It worked so well I immediatley walked down to London Drugs to buy the wireless keyboard... excellent... 



1 comment:

B. Diederich said...

I think the reason why I enjoy looking at your site/comments is because I often see many parallels. In fact, I was about to post a pic of some Johnny Depp comments/dress pic etc; that and a question I was going to ask with references to Moulin Rouge...but I am right in the middle of re-sewing this dress for the fith time this weekend and will try to be a prolific writer later...tonight or tomorrow...! BD

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin