Thursday, January 8, 2009

Please Don't Leave, I'll Be Better...


      As I was out for a walk yesterday I observed this young couple outside the front door of this older apartment building. She had come down to meet him and was standing in her stocking feet and he was clutching a cheap bouquet of cellophane wrapped flowers he had obviously bought at a corner store-- possibly the first he'd ever bought her. He had this forlorn look of desperation on his face and I instantly knew what the scenario was--he was trying to win her back.

     She looked at the flowers and then into his face. The corners of her mouth slightly turned down, she let out an," Awwww" and put her arms around him and gave him a hug, no kiss. The embrace lasted for a bit but it was the kind of pity hug that said, " Ah, you're such a sweety for making this gesture and although we're sharing a moment, we are so done right now." As a male there is a no more helpless and anguished feeling than trying to win back a love that no longer wants anything to do with you. And on the outside chance you do win her back with your efforts, it's remains unnerving because you know inside she's not really "back" she's giving it one last try because you're "such a nice guy." (and she's been on a with date the clothing manager of Woolco).

     It's funny how true old sayings are, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." and "You never miss the water 'til the well runs dry." I've seen it time and again with men/boys. We're with someone we truly love and out of ignorance, ego or oblivion we think we can get away with murder (well not literally but you get my drift) or maybe have the attitude that we're in love she'll never leave. Then when she up and says, "I need my space right now or I'm leaving." we're shocked and appalled at this painful set of circumstances and turn all our efforts to doing the things we should have been doing anyway to win them back. How could I have been so stupid to miss all the signs?

     Anyway I hope everything works out for our young couple. I think in hindsight there are many people walking around wishing they would have tried a bit harder to make those early love affairs work...or not.


2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

Nearly every other week I remind my son that he needs to do something special for his girlfriend and NOT take her for granted since she is a lovely person. Sometimes he follows my advice...but he needs to more often! She is a girly girl that appreciates flowers and things! (Whereas flowers always pissed me off!)

Dan Johnson said...

Good for you! Sometimes guys can try too hard, there must be a balance there somewhere...flowers aren't for everyone. Quite often I felt like dink giving them but you do what you can....

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin