Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lonsdale School...

     Walking today I noticed they're about halfway through tearing down Lonsdale School. In the middle of cursing myself for not bringing my camera I remembered I put it in my pocket--good memory, just really short. The whole area was fenced off and as I approached it out of nowhere a dog began barking. Guard dog! I nearly jumped out of my skin. I hadn't even had a chance to take my camera out of my pocket when he came up and tried to lick me to death through the chain link fence. He then retrieved this coffee cup and tried to get at it's contents like an anteater--just a little pupper guy and obviously no real threat... 



       History: In July 1910 tenders were called for the construction of Lonsdale School to serve students in the northern section of North Vancouver. By April 1911 it was sufficiently completed to accommodate the high school class and a class from a rented store on Lonsdale Ave. and 22nd St. The eight classroom school was officially opened April 8, with D.P. Clark as principal. A four room annex was added in 1925. Strange facts known by few...Stephanie said her Dad attended the school--that's some pretty compelling stuff right there, and now the equally thrilling photos...

   







No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin