Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First Date...


     I've had zero luck with the dreaded blind date, it seems that my idea of cute and funny never quite sync up with the matchmakers. I've been subject to at least a dozen of them from friends, strangers that have this "friend" and family members. My sister is three years younger than me so at one point years ago she was a great source for dates, not that any of them ever worked out long term. 

    She set me up with a friend of hers from work who I had seen a picture of and thought was attractive. We made arrangements to catch a movie and when I picked her up her face was a little swollen. She informed me that she just had all her wisdom teeth extracted and from experience with another friend of mine who had his removed, I assumed she was in a lot of pain. Thinking I was being considerate keeping conversation to a minimum on the date, it turned out later she told my sister she thought I was boring. So much for chivalry and making assumptions--I've been called many things but boring has never been one of them.

     I was twenty years old when I went on my first blind date, my Mom had set me up with this girl she worked with named Debbie (actually the only one I remember the name of). I was totally hungover when I went to pick her up because the night before I was out with friends swilling the drink menu at a neighbourhood pub. I can't recall what we did on our date but I'm positive it involved more imbibing. We ended up crashing out together on a bed tucked away in my buddies basement.

    It was Christmas time so Mom had the camera loaded and snapped this picture the day after. It was strange because we hung out most of the day and never used the bathroom. Dad even commented, saying somethings gotta give. Anyway, I get a kick out of this picture because I'm still wearing the t-shirt I wore on the date, It says, "I don't have a problem drinking, I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem." Great first impression--real classy and real true...


      I kind of liked her and we had a pretty good time (I think) but we never dated again, I was living in Penticton-- just two ships that pass out in the night.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin