Thursday, November 6, 2008

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"... Winston Churchill


            "Great and good are seldom in the same man"




     I'm no political animal, in fact I probably know less and care less about politics than anybody on the planet. I think it usually boils down to a popularity contest anyway but in light of recent events in the States I do have a few thoughts.

     Like most people, I was totally fed up with the antics of  W. and I completely choked up at Barack Obama's acceptance speech--even shed a couple of tears but then the dust settled. I was on facebook this morning and noticed all the well wishes and congratulations from some of my facebook friends on their status updates. I left out the names to protect the innocent...

-is congratulating all my american friends!

-has just watched history, what a wonderful thing lets keep our fingers crossed.

-is very satisfied with America's decision.

-is celebrating the "greatest election" in US history!! OBAMA - we are so proud of you!!! Congratulations!!!!

-is now NOT wondering if it's too early lol! Way to go, Obama!!!

-is watching the world change...finally!!

-is a political junkie teetering on overdose... Pass me the narcan and turn the news back on.

- is listening to the CNN drool on Obama. I love what has happened but political campaigns are getting a little long in the tooth... next up: your local council.

-is inspired and grateful for a new direction for our world.

   
    It's great that people everywhere feel a sense of hope and change but let's put this into perspective, this isn't the second coming and Obama is left with a huge mess to clean up. He even qualified that in his acceptance speech by saying something like,"This may take more than one term." No kidding.

     The thing that struck me about Obama even when I saw him years ago on T.V. is that he is a phenomenal orator/communicator with an incredible speaking voice who oozes charisma. Is that all we need to cheer for a guy? Maybe (and an excellent campaign manager). Does anyone really know where he stands on all the issues ? How many people love him because he speaks well, is black and good looking (reminds me of what Archie Bunker said about Harry Belafonte, "He's not black, he's just a good looking caramel-coloured guy) that happened along at the right time? 

    It's not my intention to "rain on anyone's parade" or be a "wet blanket" but I'm going to approach this change with cautious optimism. My favorite status updates from above are, "Has just watched history, let's keep our fingers crossed." and the one from my friend that writes a political column, "Is a political junkie teetering on overdose...pass me the narcan and turn the news back on." 


     

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin