Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wamego Kansas...



     I originally started this blog because my friend Stephanie had one. Being new to computers and the interweb, at first I thought they seemed kind of stupid and self centered (they may very well be) but it wasn't long before I wanted to make an attempt at one-- with Stephanies help. Then I saw that another friend of mine John Hartwick had one and I thought, " If he can do it I sure as hell can." Through facebook (I've almost moved on) and our blog posts we've actually become better friends (although you'd probably have to ask him) and now there's a group of us heading to NYC at the end of August. 

    I found out also, that I quite enjoyed the writing process but because my typing skills were so limited (at least now I know where all the keys are) postings could take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to complete- at about blog 14 I became discouraged because it seemed too much like homework... and when the going gets tough the tough take a nap.

    Anyhoo, Stephanie phoned me after I hadn't posted anything in a while and said,"Somebody left a comment on one of your blogs!" Wow! A comment! I immediately went there and found this by...B. Diederich.

    It was all the encouragement I needed to continue and I made my first and only internet friend (I think) in Wamego Kansas. I found through B. Diederich's writing that she lives among a cast of very strange and some downright creepy characters so I googled Wamego to find out more about it. It turns out that besides quickly closing in on being the Oz capitol of the world due to the Wizard of Oz museum and other Oz related businesses it was the home to one of the largest drug labs ever busted in U.S. history (Wed. Nov. 22, 2000).



     Investigators found enough chemical ingredients inside a converted missile silo to produce between 36 million and 60 million doses of LSD. It was predicted that the lab could supply a third (whatever that means) of the drug to the United States and maybe the world but fortunately the evidence was seized before they produced any of the drug. 

    I thought after reading that there might be some correlation between Brenda's neighbours and the LSD but the drug obviously never made it into circulation. Anyway I don't mean to cast any aspersions on Wamego (our drug problem is world class) in any way it looks like a lovely place, just don't go down by the river... 




     Also a word of thanks for the shot in the arm from Stephanie Neely... Weird I suddenly feel like I won some sort of blog award when only three people read it...

     

6 comments:

B. Diederich said...

And if you want to see Wamego live, go to http://www.wamtelco.com
/?page=community&sub=webcams
and click on the 2nd box! Oh joy!

It looks pretty bleak on some of these Oz pics on mainstreet--usually there are tons of flowers and it appears more friendly and inviting....

Oh. Messiah Man made a public appearance yesterday early morning at the gas station...most everyone performed their typical nod 'hello' as customers entire the door...and he drove by yesterday afternoon...

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time Dan, so make that 4 people.

G.H.

B. Diederich said...

God. Spelling error again. ENTER the door...
Look...ANONYMOUS!
BD

Dan Johnson said...

Maybe the customers came through the entire door... are they big?
There is a serious novel novel or movie in your town...I can see it...

John Hartwick said...

Buddy, you're not a friend, you're a brother!!

Dan Johnson said...

Thanks brother!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin