Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Here's What I Know...


    I read this article in the paper the other day that was about short term memory loss. It basically said your brain is like a computer and when the hard drive gets full of useless information there's less brain power to devote to short term memory, hence forgetfulness and misplacing (then dementia).




   This turned out to be somewhat comforting as I have a history of losing the various elements of the Holy Trinity-- wallet, keys and phone-- and I tend to be a wealth of useless information. I figure the combination of the two could explain the ever increasing absentmindedness as opposed to attributing it to old age. I live in a bachelor suite (which seems appropriate as I'm a bachelor) and it never ceases to amaze how I can forget the whereabouts of  these items in such a small space. 

    I've actually gotten better at locating the big three-- but that's only because I really concentrate now and losing them is turning out to be way to stressful... before you put anything down think about where you're putting it (that doesn't always work, a month ago I threw my cell phone in the garbage with the rest of the trash-- fortunately the dumpster was full and I found it right on top). The trouble now is that I'm forgetting everything else, return videos (costly), banking, grocery items, sunglasses, sunscreen, toiletries, laundry, take vitamins, take lunch (don't throw your lunch in the dumpster and take the trash to work because they're both in liquor store bags). I just thought of something-- I never, ever forget to go to the liquor store... that's bizarre, well not really.  

   Now to the useless information. This blog was originally going to be compilation of some of the useless facts I've retained over the years and all that came to mind were two things...

  a- The only word in the English language with all the vowels in it, in a row is Facetious  
     
  b- I recall reading that the worlds toughest tongue twister is, "The sixth sheiks sixth sheep's sick."

    That means I must be taking up a lot of my hard drive with only two items and that doesn't make any sense (like any of this does) so I'm right back at square one. That article wasn't really  comforting, I'm losin' it...but cheer up, the worst is yet to come...


1 comment:

B. Diederich said...

I was going to write a blog on 'Brain Power' the other day, but we've been doing some evening activities and gettin home too late...

nice...
John Merrick....

That deserves an 'Aaack!
BD

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin