Thursday, July 10, 2008

Childhood Disappointment...

   When I was a kid I used to like to build (can you say toxic glue and paint?) plastic models such as these...








        I usually got them as Christmas or birthday gifts but occasionally I would save enough of my meager allowance to buy one at this hobby shop in Brentwood Mall. One summer night Dad had taken me there to buy a new one and as always I would try convince him on the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" or  "Frankenstein" to which he would always say, " You're just going to break it." I think he just didn't want to buy the monster models, sometimes parents can be funny that way. 

       On this particular night I noticed something up high on the wall behind the counter that would pretty much put an end to my plastic model building days forever...



    I was open- mouthed and stupefied, like Ralphy in "A Christmas Story" and his obsession with the Red Rider BB gun. There were actually airplanes that I could fly myself as opposed to just drawing or building them?!?  Asking Dad if I could get one, he immediately replied with the words every kid hates to hear,"You can if you save your money." I think the price of this particular plane was about $13 and my allowance at the time was a dollar a week (man, does that sound like the olden days)... it would take me an eternity to save that kind of money.

     I hunkered down and began to save. There were sacrifices made-bottles collected, matinees at the Dolphin Theatre missed and baseball cards not purchased but I had to have that plane. It seems funny now but I think Dad had forgotten what he had said at the time about saving my money just to keep me quiet (he didn't think I would actually do it) . When I finally announced to him with pride that I had saved the $13 he simply replied, "Your mother and I don't think it's such a good idea, you're just going to break it."(which is probably true). I was crushed, "You've got to be kidding? Why didn't you tell me sooner?!"
     
       I probably took take my savings and and spent it on a week long binge of mojo's, candy cigarettes, spearmint leaves, jawbreakers, licorice pipes, Mountain Dew and a pea shooter to drown my sorrows and relieve the pain of hearing, "You're just going to break it."

       I don't recall ever making another model after that and I eventually took the ones I made up in the bush and lit them on fire, which was great fun until I dripped molten plastic on the back of my hand. It hurt like hell... and try hiding that wound from your Mom...



2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

My parents were like that too, except my dad was usually silent and my mom did the decision-making about toys through telepathy I guess. (Or they just discussed it after we'd gone to bed!)
I remember my brothers holding a breadbag on a stick over a fire and watching the plastic drip...then my cousin had a marshmallow on a stick on a camping trip that caught on fire. He whipped it through the air to put it out and it flew off and landed on my bicep in little glops--still on fire. Hurt pretty bad--and if your mom tries to pick it off it just pulls off the skin! Still have faint scars and that was in 2nd grade!
BD

Dan Johnson said...

Haha... I could hear the conversation in the bedroom...
Mom, "I don't think it's a very good idea letting Dan get that airplane, he's only going to break it."

Dad,"Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe if we don't say anything at all he'll just lose steam."

Those burns hurt like crazy... whatever that means. Does crazy hurt? Actually, yes it does...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin