Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Lean-In...



   Vancouverites are hilarious. All year long we complain about how much it rains and as soon as we get a bit of a warm spell we start whining about how hot it is. It gets to me occasionally after two weeks of torrential downpour but I don't really mind the rain all that much... it's the heat that gets to me. I've never been much of a shirt off, beach guy- tropical vacations don't particularly interest me although a Mediterranean cruise might be not too too terribly too too bad. 
     I live in a southwest facing apartment, the view is great but when 'summer' hits it can quickly turn into a kiln and sustain that temperature throughout the evening causing my ice cubes melt way too fast. I really prefer spring and fall and flourish in temperatures somewhere between 5 and 23 degrees Celsius (that's roughly 40 and 76 degrees Fahrenheit for you American visitors).
     That having been said I went over to my friend Stephanie's place this past Saturday to escape the stifling heat of my apartment and relax with some Margaritas on her deck. We had sucked back a few the night before (Margaritas that is) and I was hoping there was some left but all the mix was gone, including the Cointreau, and there was just a whiff of Cuervo left in the bottle...thankfully I brought a six pack for support.
   We were chatting on her deck totally enjoying the lack of any sort of cooling summer breeze when I noticed the woman on the deck to her right had a male suitor. She is probably in her mid fifties and when I've been to Stephanie's in the past she was usually alone with her glass of wine (but you're never really alone if you have a glass of wine) and some cigarettes. I asked Stephanie who the guy was and she told me that he was her ex-boyfriend (the neighbours, not Stephanie's). 
       We conversed for a while longer when out of the corner of my eye I caught an instance so tragic to the human condition it is almost beyond words. As the two were talking  I saw the 'ex' lean in for a kiss. I have a sense about these things- this guy had way more feelings for her than she had for him, you could see it in his eyes and almost smell the desperation. As he was leaning in she managed to execute the dreaded double manoeuvre, the cheek turn in combination with the head 'pull back'.... denied. I actually saw the instant that what was left of his already fragile spirit was crushed, flattened and left in a heartbroken pancake on the floor. There's no way you recover from that and continue to savour a pleasant evening on the deck... aaah, summer nights...
 


3 comments:

B. Diederich said...

How about this instance of being 'caught on film'!
I've had several people tell me (over the last couple days) that any pictures they have of me at the wedding show me literally 'cringing' or my back is desperately hunched over and twisted to get away from my ex's arm...
While I am still trying to maintain a smile in these pics, body language shows everything...
I am shivering as I type this! Ugh.

B. Diederich said...

Oops. I'm cold right now at 78 degrees; we love Grease; and I left my bottle of Tekillya at home...

So...if the guy knows he's going to be shot down again, why make the attempt? Why did I just ask that? I am thinking of all my stupid relationship mistakes...sorry!

Dan Johnson said...

That's funny how the body language can sometimes tell all...'cringe' Brenda you really have a way with 'word'.
I was at a pub a while ago and my last great love was there. It still amazes me how you can have so many feelings and emotions wrapped up in one person at the time and then feel absolutely nothing to the point of, "What was I thinking?" She's in a dead end marriage and I think she wants me to be her 'out'. Thanks but no thanks, I had to do the 'slip-away'.

78 degrees? That's just about max for me but I could do 80 if I'm not working and my apartment was air conditioned. I looked into one of those stand up air conditioners but they're $500 and we usually only get about a week of really hot weather. We used to have a real nice Spring and Summer here but weather patterns have changed a lot over the last few years... more rain and less sun. Global warming ? Ha!

Love Grease too but not Grease two. I must have left my cards in my other bacon wallet...(don't ask me where that came from)

The look of love (or was that desperation?) in his eye was so intense he just had to try, It was quite sad really. I remember that feeling, being so 'in love' with someone who is indifferent and knowing full well I was going to be denied - but I just had to try. Talk about feeling frustrated and pathetic...

Relationship mistakes? If it weren't for those I wouldn't have had any...ha ha. Wait a sec, that isn't funny, it's true- but that's what makes it funny...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin