Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hard Brown Caulk Finally Finished...




    Today marks the completion of one of the most tedious but beautiful houses I have ever painted (can a house be tedious?- maybe not, but the customer can). The only thing that helped relieve the month long monotony of caressing every single shingle with a brush load of water-like, semi-transparent stain was the magnificence of the views.

        Pete working on the last stretch of shingles... 



     The lady of the manor, who was actually really nice, had to be one of the most particular (OK, anal but she admits it) people I have ever worked for, and I've known some classics. Every morning there was a debriefing for the day that routinely started with, "I was just thinking..." or "I'm a little worried about...." It was usually something she had already pointed out to me five times but I just had to suck it up and hear it again. 

     She was amazing actually-- obviously loved her husband (he's apparently one of the best litigators in town) by her morning adieu-- "Goodbye my darling, I love you." (who says that?) but that house is the total focus of her life... absolutely immaculate. She knows every single square inch, does all the gardening, cleaning (I've never seen anyone vacuum as much) inside and out. The only maintenance she doesn't do is the pool, the painting and the high windows (she hand cleans the rest of them with paper towels and a mixture of vinegar and water). Every morning she was showered, pressed, made up and wearing a totally different outfit than the day before... obsessive maybe but there's something to be said for that.  

    It was arduous (to say the least) and I won't bore you with any more details, I'll let the pictures do the talking instead...











      It has to be the nicest place I've ever worked on- and the most challenging- but there is a satisfaction in a job well done. She was thrilled with our work, I thought I was going to get a hug as I was leaving- but she shook my hand instead and invited us back to do some interior painting in October...I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

That really is a lovely place. Nice work!
Perhaps she'll recommend you her neighbors and you could spend all your summers with an awesome view. Boy, I'd like to stay home all day and not have a job like her...but I'd probably create messes instead of cleaning all day...

Dan Johnson said...

Thanks Bren! We do have another place to paint next door to hers but it won't be ready until next year... a huge renovation. The area is called Ocean Point... it's a fourteen house gated community in West Vancouver. West Van has highest property taxes in Canada.

I wouldn't mind staying home all day either... drinking margarooties poolside and hiring some help...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin