Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back On Bowen...


     As the title says, I've been working back on Bowen Island for the last week or so. There's a lot of new construction there, property values are up and the yuppies are squeezing the hippies out. 
      A short twenty minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay, the ferries usually run like clockwork  until this past Monday morning...ugh. I always try to catch the 7:00 AM boat but there was a problem with one of the engines so it's departure was delayed about half an hour. Then on the way home I tried to catch the 3:15-- it was an hour late because a log got caught in one of the props so they had to send divers down to dislodge it. When we finally arrived at the Horseshoe Bay side the ramp that they use to off load the ferry got stuck and wouldn't drop down-- we had to wait for a bigger ferry to unload it's cargo before we could use it's bay. A commute that normally takes 40 minutes one way ferry to front door took 3hrs, and it was Monday. To quote BD... Aarrgh!
    Anyway there are way worse problems than that in the world and it is a beautiful place to work...





      The bigger problem about working on Bowen is that I have to make my lunch-- any place you can get a meal there is too far from the jobsite to bother going. At least when I'm working in North or West Van I have the option of waking up in the morning and thinking, "Nah, not today." After years of making sandwiches, even the thought of attempting one some mornings makes me want to cry (I can't make them the night before-- occasionally I will make extra dinner to take with the following day). I figure now if I'm going construct one I might as well make the effort...

     Mmm. Cobs bread...

     And ask me how many times I've got a clean tear off of this stupid plastic wrap and how many times I've just about thrown it out the window...


     One final thing. Builders are never very good at maintaining the crappers (especially on Bowen), they're supposed to be cleaned out once a week but rarely are--it can get pretty ripe. 
     So you know how you can spray some pine scented aerosol to freshen up after doing your business? (Dad always said it just smelled like someone shit a pine cone). This particular crapper is situated in the trees such that you can actually smell them when you're inside, creating quite a pleasant ambience and evergreen aroma--the shade also helps...


     On the trip home-- pathetic I know but couldn't resist, it had been a long day...




3 comments:

John Hartwick said...

Again. that's my Uncle's boat in that shot. What are the odds?

Dan Johnson said...

Which shot and which boat...?

John Hartwick said...

The first photo after the ferry, the blue and white hard top. It's called the Pelagic.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin