Monday, July 14, 2008

Blame...

     Novelist Dalton Trumbo wrote, "Blame is for God and little children." and I have always believed these to be good and true words to live by, I've never found it beneficial to lay blame on persons or situations in life to try to relieve my responsibility, however tempting it may be. That having been said I do harbour some deep disappointments with certain institutions, programs, parents and professions that I had been involved with but realize I had my part to play (damn these deep-seated emotional problems).

     I was reminded of Marlon Brando's Academy Award winning performance in "On the Waterfront" as ex prize fighter Terry Malloy turned longshoreman. It's one of my favorite scenes in any movie and actually makes a decent case for blame... as well as regret for missed opportunities and honest self realization. The older I get the more these lines ring true... 

   "It was you, Charley. You and Johnny. Like the night the two of youse come in the dressing room and says, "Kid, this ain't your night-- we're going for the price on Wilson." It ain't my night. I'd of taken Wilson apart that night! I was ready-- remember the early rounds throwing them combinations. So what happens? This bum Wilson he gets the title shot--outdoors in the ballpark!"

    "And what do I get-- a couple of bucks and a one-way ticket to Palookaville. It was you, Charley. You was my brother. You should have looked out for me. Instead of making me take them dives for the short end money...You don't understand! I could have been a contender. I could've had class and been somebody. Real class. Instead of a bum, which is what I am. It was you Charley."


     

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

I know someone who continually blames parents, the past, relatives, etc and has for 20 years--for her sucky life.
Sometimes ya just want to slap her silly and say 'wake up!'-- you dug your own hole...'move on!'

She can't see past her own little world...gets very tiresome to listen to...

I guess I shouldn't be badmouthing someone else though...I suppose there are plenty of times I want to blame someone else for things-- but I usually wake up after a couple days and figure it out!

Hopefully.

Dan Johnson said...

That's the worst listening to somebody constantly complain, lay blame and never do anything about it. Confucious say, "Talk doesn't cook rice."

Hopefully is right...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin