Monday, October 13, 2008

Language...

        This picture (circa '82 or '83) is of my sister (on the left) and my first love. I still sometimes wonder what I saw in her but that whole matter is for another blog (if I haven't done it already). I was thinking about this language she had that was all her own and how I thought it was cute at the time.

       I've always been a stickler for accuracy when it comes to spelling, grammar and punctuation-- among other things. Hers wasn't very good but like I said it didn't bother me at the time--although now it would probably drive me nuts.

      I can't recall all the words she used but here is a few that I can. Instead of saying miserable, she would pronounce it "mizherable" (she possessed no foreign accent). I got a letter from her once that stated that I had really made her feel, "imbarrassed" and if something was potent she would say it was potenant (I guess impotent might be "impotenant"). Her best one though was the word, "skulp"-- a hybrid of the words skull and scalp...perfect, even better than the original. I'm sure there was an "irregardless" or two in there as well.

    I was thinking today that it takes a lot of patience to have patience...deep.   

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Hey, Dan....my mother talks like that. Throw in Ukeraynian and Eyetalion. I think your old love was just from Moose Jaw.

Dan Johnson said...

Actually they may have been from Moose Jaw, hilarious!! And I'm half Yookarayian...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin