Monday, October 6, 2008

Don't Be So Hard On Yourself...


    I was at the doctor today as a follow up to last weeks visit for anxiety. Not much was discussed that wasn't talked about last time although we did briefly discuss other reasons for the causes of anxiety (genetics, upbringing, etc.). My experience has always been that the medical profession does not seem too interested in emotional causes, they seem to quick to write a prescription and leave the rest up to the patient, which is fine.

    The funny thing about todays visit though was that as I was leaving my doctor said to me, "Try not to be so hard on yourself." If I had $10,000 for every time I heard that I'd be a millionaire. I've heard that so many times over the years  from friends, family and sometimes people I barely even know observe it. I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself but no matter how many times I hear it and try to tell myself that, I don't really feel it. That really is the $64,000 question, "How the heck do you do that?" Easy does it, I suppose. Speaking of easy, I usually feel I'm being way too easy on myself. Makes me think of Stuart Smalley.

   Anyway one good thing. Usually when I go to the doctor my blood pressure is too high, well maybe it was the Xanax but my blood pressure was perfect...sweet.

      

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

I feel really bad that I was so 'cliche' in my response...and I had forgotten all about Stuart--I think I had envisioned Jack Handey (Deep Thoughts or something!)
I tend to get down and depressed when the Fall time change occurs-- I hate the dark evenings and chilly weather--feel trapped/doom/gloom/bored/irritable...
Gee--that's rather cliche too...
BD

Dan Johnson said...

No problemo, I always appreciate your feedback. Sometimes cliche is all there is to say. I forget about the changes with the coming of fall, sort of a love/ hate thing with me.
You know what "they" say the definition of insanity is...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That's cliche too...DJ

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin