Thursday, October 23, 2008

In Heavens Name...

       I was watching the tail end of  World's Most Amazing Videos this morning when I saw this. It's a scout leader teaching the troops how to light a barrel fire, whatever that is (it doesn't appear to be a very good idea). You'd think he'd have a little better sense but like the quote says, "There's nothing as uncommon as common sense..."



    This clip isn't very long  but he ran off kind off disoriented into the woods, furiously patting out his hair fire. He was OK but did receive second degree burns to his face. Of course they had to play the clip over and over in slo-mo and it's hard not to laugh at such stupidity. A couple of the scouts were interviewed afterwards and even they couldn't believe what he was doing.

    It reminded me of something my Dad did years ago when I was working with him. It was early one  winter morning and he had gone up to the Ford Ranch Wagon to pour hot water on the frosted windows and warm up the engine. 

      The Ranch Wagon. This picture was taken out front of Nana's house, we had to visit her on Saturdays when I wanted to be playing ball hockey with my friends-- massive resentment...


       Anyway, the car wouldn't start so Dad had lifted the hood to prime the carburator with a little gas from the gerry can. After removing the air filter and pouring a little fuel into the carb he dropped the wing nut. It was dark and my Dad is one of the smartest guys I know but here's where he had a major brain cramp. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his Bic lighter, sparks it and leans his face into the engine well to try and find the wing nut when he realizes, "In heavens name, what am I doing?"

     No crazy ending. He was lucky, doused the lighter in time, found the wing nut and we left for work but that incident always makes me think of this Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote episode--one of the best... 



2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

Still can only get about a sec of the videos to play...finally got the one of your visor to work last night! Is that going to be your Halloween costume?!

Anyway...Brigham's grandpa had the same brown station wagon...I've did the fire/carburetor thing in my Jeepster and scared myself to death, but didn't get burned. I didn't realize you had to put the air filter back on top!
But one of the stupidest things was a crack-head that worked with my daughter roofing...he laid a board across his thigh and grabbed the circular saw...
Everyone screamed in time and he was so humiliated at himself that he walked off the job and went home...

Dan Johnson said...

I haven't dressed up for Halloween in years so probably not but it was fun to find this crap at the dollar store.

It seems sometimes the brain just shuts off--or at least the common sense part haha...

My Dad worked for Indian Affairs(First Nations now) for a couple of years, he has some pretty good stories like crack-head as well...too long for "comment section"....

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin