Friday, September 5, 2008

Carnegies Deli...


     Every night in NYC the usual suspects always managed to make it to the magical witching hour of 3:00 AM. After the second or third one of these (John is way better at the details, maybe I was drunker) Dave and I were meeting him and Steve for something to eat at Carnegies Deli. It was around 11:00 AM and I'd been for a walk to the Chrysler Building, a stunning piece of architecture...
 


   I hadn't had any breakfast except for a Starbucks so by now I was pretty much starving and ready to put on the feedbag (who says that?). Dave and I got there first and the place was packed... 


    The hostess was a real New Yawkah and wouldn't seat us until we were all there. After John and Steve arrived we were lead down a small hallway into a back room and were seated at a table at the top of a small flight of stairs...

                       The view from our table, every wall is covered with autographed pictures of
                  celebrities and sports figures from the last I don't know how many years.
                  (Surprisingly enough they didn't want our photo and signature)...

      The waiter was friendly and we placed our order right away, I think Dave had the corned beef, Steve had the Woody Allen and John and I ordered the Reuben...


          The Woody Allen, half corned beef, half pastrami... more like half a cow... 



                       The Reuben...

                       

    That's the best I could do. Dave ate all of his (what are the odds?) and John and Steve did about half. That sandwich (if that's what you want to call it) was incredible, the meat was like candy and almost melted in your mouth- especially delicious dipped in the Thousand Island Dressing and a bit of mustard.
    The waiter asked us if we wanted to take the rest with us but we were headed to the Museum of Natural History and I didn't feel like lugging it around- although I was tempted to stuff the remains in the pocket of my cargo shorts to help keep my strength up for another 3 AM'er. 

   I couldn't believe it but I saw people order the cheesecake and it was about the same size as the sandwich...


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin