Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Totally Absent-Minded Hypocrisy...

    I tried to post this the other day and thought I lost it but Stephanie showed me how to retrieve my drafts... 



    I wasn't going to post today because I put in a long first shift on the, "around back I have some "hard dirty brown caulk to show you" job but I managed to do something so profoundly 'Honk If You're A Knob' I couldn't resist. 
   
    This morning I needed to stop by the paint store to pick up a cheque (I've been on a roll lately, people are actually phoning me to give me money).  Afterwards I walked to Tim Hortons to grab a coffee when I saw the lady that handles my banking waiting in the lineup. We smiled "Hi's" from across the room, or as much of a smile anybody can manage first thing in the morning. She blushed because she hadn't had a chance to put her make up on yet (women seem at their most vulnerable without the war paint) and was still wearing flip flops with her business suit... I sensed little embarrassment and a little "not feeling too professional" (I'm not sure if she's aware of it but she wears the hair pulled back and glasses hot business woman/secretary/teacher look, whatever that is... I've seen it on the intraweb). I walked by her as I was leaving and mumbled something like, "another day in the salt mines."and continued on to my bank (which is right next door) to make a deposit.
    After depositing the cheque in the ATM and marveling at the fact that I was actually showing a positive balance, I came up with the bright idea to wait for banker lady (?) to come to work . It's getting close to the time for me to renew my mortgage (which happens to be at another bank) and I wanted to ask her for some advice... and maybe flirt a little,  she's kind of cute.
   I should say here that 'bank lady'  is the most professional, diligent, capable and thorough person I have met in the years I have dealt with this institution. I also need to say that anybody that knows me or has read this blog knows that one of my biggest pet peeves is people coming up to me and asking for paint advice when I'm in my painting whites. 
    I won't go into any great detail here about the mortgage conversation but as we were talking I realized what I was doing and apologized for bothering her before work. She said, "No problem..." but what else could she say? That's exactly what I would have said but would have been thinking,"Blow it out your ass." (possibly my favorite saying) 
   I really didn't give this morning exchange a second reflection until 6:30 this evening when I was cleaning up at "Hard Brown Caulk". That's when the full impact hit, and the thought struck me that I had done the exact same thing to 'bank lady' that people do to me. I immediately called her voice mail and left another apology, explaining the above. As usual in life she probably hadn't give it a second thought but my feeling was, "What a knob..."

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

I must of missed this blog earlier...

I think that the most bothersome thing about being an art teacher/artist are the people that assume you can whip out a picture 5 minutes after they ask.
I hate, absolutely HATE it when someone begins their conversation with "I've got this beautiful horse..."
For some reason, everyone wants a horse drawing. AAARRGGH! To be honest, I am not a horse person, have never liked horses; I've been bucked off of one--they terrify me. I've tried to get on one again and, well, I just don't like heights.
To tell someone that I didn't grow up around horses and CANT DRAW ONE UNLESS I HAVE A PICTURE...well, this tends to flabbergast them.

I have drawn them as a favor to friends, and in a book I illustrated, but you know me! I'd rather draw something weird...!
Geez. Didn't mean to bellyache about it.
Hey...I've got this paint in a bucket and it's been there for a year and do you think...
(just kidding)
BD

Dan Johnson said...

i don't like horses either...way too spooky. One kicked my Dad in the knee when I was a kid and I've tried riding those old nag rentals a few times... hated it, just take me home.

Bellyache is what blogs are for...aren't they?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin