Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Observations of a Painting Contractor...


     I'll start with my favorite, I've probably witnessed this half a dozen times in the paint store. A young pregnant couple standing in front of the wall of paint swatches, the guy totally glazed over like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights, hands in his pockets, slightly hunched over...  possibly fearing the impending birth but more than likely stunned at the prospect of picking a color for the baby's room...
     Her, "What do you think?"
     Him, " I don't know." shrugging shoulders.
     Her, " It doesn't even seem like you care... you could take a little interest you know."
     He then sheepishly points to one of the many color chips and says....
     " I kind of like that one right there." To which she replies...
     "No, I don't like that one at all."  Perfect.

    I can give people three weeks notice that I'll be there to paint the inside of their house. All I ask is that they empty their shelves and cabinets of bric-a-brac, take pictures off the walls and move the smaller pieces of furniture, I'll move the bigger pieces. I can almost guarantee you the day that I show up to paint they're scrambling around that morning doing everything I asked them to do three weeks ago. But come to think of it who am I to talk? When I was a kid I'd be cramming to complete a book report in one night and Mom would ask me how long I had to do it. I'd tell her I just got it but it was actually three weeks prior. That may not be a very good analogy though. Come on people, work with me, you know I'm coming... get your place prepped...

   When you're forty feet up a ladder don't swing a stain loaded paint brush (part reflex action, part complete stupidity) at the wasp buzzing around your bare legs (I have shorts on) because that stain is going to fly everywhere. And on the odd chance you have covered everything up with drop sheets, if there is one square inch of exposed sidewalk the flying stain will land there...


     The product shown above is an excellent primer, sealer and stain blocker. A lady came into the paint store and I over heard her ask the girl behind the counter if they sold any of that "Klitz"... obviously she meant "Kilz"...

     And finally, if I'm painting the interior of a 5000 sq. ft. house and I have just painted a window sill (first one), if there is one fly in that house I guarantee you it will somehow land on that sill...

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin