Sunday, June 8, 2008

Teen Angel...


    Mom and Dad took a good friend of mine Ian and I to see American Grafitti one Saturday night in 1973, it was a pretty big deal because up until that time I had primarily only viewed movies at matinees. I suppose it was the movie that sparked the 50's nostalgia craze of the 70's. The film turned out to be an instant favorite and Mom immediately bought the soundtrack which we proceeded to wear out on our "record player." I remember that movie was followed by another 50's movie, Lords of the Flatbush starring a young Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler which I think lead to his role as Fonzie on Happy Days. Watching those shows made the fifties seem like ancient history... literally the "olden days." Now in the new millenium the 70's seem to have taken hold to tickle peoples nostalgia bone.
    50's music became very popular as well with bands like Sha Na Na (which I never really cared for but managed to get their own TV show) and Vancouver favourites Teen Angel and the Rockin Rebels. They used to play the local bar scene and occasionally some of our 50's themed school dances (I also saw Trooper, Heart, Sweeney Todd and Bryan Adams before they hit it big). My buddy Ian and I loved Teen Angel so much we would have listened to them even if the the 50's hadn't become so popular... they could rock...

2 comments:

dcc said...

do you know a song with a guy that looses his girl after an acident at a bridge?

dcc said...

hi im dave at clay_dave@yahoo.com do you know a 50's song with a guy that looses his girl friend after crash at a bridge?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin