Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's Troubled Me For Years ( Don't Get Me Started)...


    If god in all his infinite wisdom really wanted the supposed crown jewel of his creation, homo sapiens, to believe in him, why did he fill us with logic, reason, curiosity and intelligence and then give us a book as outrageous as the bible to try and explain himself ? And as if that wasn't ridiculous enough, threaten us with the prospect of eternal hellfire and damnation if we somehow can't get our logical and reasoning minds to believe that his son Jesus Christ, born of a virgin, (which is an ancient story, common to many religions) was nailed to across and raised from the dead on the third day for the "forgiveness of our sins"( I never even asked to be born and there's a chance I could roast and toast forever?). Well not really raised from the dead because since he is a member of the Holy Trinity (the godhead, God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost all equal... what the?!?) he actually just did it himself. And since Jesus is the "Word", the Alpha and the Omega, with God from the beginning, he knew exactly where he was going. So really what was the sacrifice on the cross ? A brief period of suffering and then back to paradise. It's like on the way to the crucifixion (fiction) he knew he had four aces up his sleeve... how fair is that to us mere mortals ?
     

3 comments:

B. Diederich said...

He he he he! I remember clapping my hands over my ears and running out of my bedroom in 2nd grade (when my mom was reading us little ones bedtime stories--out of a new children's bible), screaming something about the tales being 'not true' and 'that stuff didn't happen'!

I probably got my butt spanked and the typical 'burn in hell' speech since we lived directly across the street from the Catholic church-- now THAT was 2 years of hell because we had to go EVERY Sunday or 'what would the neighbors think!?'

Then, living in another place in 4th grade, I climbed a tree and refused to come down on a nice Sunday morning. The priest told my mom not to force me to come to churc--that I would grow into it... NOT.

I tried again to take some classes when I was 25 and became so very angry...just could NOT believe the twisted convoluted manipulation of the snotty arrogant man who was strutting and preening in our class full of 8 girls/women. Ugh.

I say don't worry your pretty little head over it-- How can people who are basically kind decent folk be subject to eternal hellfire...? Yeah, we all did some things and do some things that aren't perfect...but we are only HUMAN. I say be like the Native Americans and respect the earth. Or just try to be nice to each other...just keep it SIMPLE so we don't go insane!
I guess that was pretty infantile or I sound like I'm ranting, but what the heck! Geez-- your blog almost wants me to go get a beer--now see-- you've got ME started!

BD
For some reason, I absolutely adored and hated the book 'The Thorn Birds', when I was 17...

B. Diederich said...

h.
Church not churc. But it does rhyme with IRK.
: )

Dan Johnson said...

Thanks for the comment... should have been called Thorn in my Side not Thorn Birds... I kind of thought you just choked on the word "church". Drill some beer into ya haha, eases the pain...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin