Thursday, May 1, 2008

Compliments and Johnny Cash...



    Last Saturday night I went to the local 30 something/40 something, lonely hearts club, cougar bar (that probably isn't p.c.) known as the Mosquito Creek Bar and Grill (which I affectionately call Grim Creek, the Grimmest of Creeks). I hadn't been there in quite some time (that's what they all say) so it was fun. The jury is still out as to whether people over 35 should be dancing in public (weddings excluded) but I cut some rug anyway... shake a leg if you will. I ended up talking with this woman (I guess girl doesn't really work anymore) and her advice to me with women was to pay them a lot of compliments. While I entirely understand this, my fear is that I come across as a flattering, insincere slickster so sometimes compliments don't flow even though the thought was there... "Those shoes are hot!"  "You breasts look fantastic in that top!" "You don't sweat much for a fat girl." (excuse that last one, I read it in National Lampoon magazine once and it stuck. Believe me when I say I've never used it).

    I remember in the past complimenting a girlfriend on a meal she made or a hairstyle and then getting way too much of that particular meal or realizing I hated that hairstyle. I only complimented her on it because she just had it done and I didn't know what else to say. It's funny because when I was out walking today I passed this woman who had the coolest boots on and I wanted to say something but the words just wouldn't come out... next time I swear. We males have to "Walk the Line" as Johnny Cash so eloquently said...
 


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin