Monday, May 19, 2008

GTO Judge and Patsy Gallant...

 


     I've never had more than a passing interest in the automobile. Truth be known I probably wouldn't even own one if I didn't need one for work, although I do own a 1990 Mazda Miata that's fun in the summer but becomes a bit of a hassle to store in the winter... vehicles for me are basically a pain. There was a time in elementary school I sort of feigned interest because I had a project to do with a couple of the cool kids on the stock car and I had to do the drawings... made me feel like I belonged. I was obsessed with vehicles when I was 15 or 16... dreaming of vans, sports cars and four wheel drives- wondering what I would buy and how I was going to get the money together to pay for one. I've been to a few car shows with friends, enjoy watching those over-hauling shows and have a real appreciation for people that take the time and energy to restore vintage vehicles, particularly the muscle cars of the late sixties and early seventies.
      That having been said, it brings me to the point of this blog. I was driving down "the cut" on Saturday when I heard a rumbling sound coming up on the drivers side. I glanced in the side view mirror and saw this cruising up beside me... 

    These aren't pics of the exact car and I'm not sure of what year it was but these are the best I could find on the interweb...




       It was a yellow GTO Judge, completely restored... immaculate. It rolled past me down the hill in what almost seemed like slow motion and as I was admiring it something totally unexpected happened... I found myself covered in chills from head to toe, every hair was standing at attention (and maybe something else). As I watched it pull away from me the goosebumps continued until it was out of view and even for a few minutes afterwards. Like I said earlier, I have little or no interest in the automobile but this kind of felt like love at first sight... which seems a little weird now that I think of it. I can get chills from a song, a car, an entertainer or a movie, but never a "person". That's bizarre... or pathetic... or maybe both.  

     I just posted this for fun, it's over the top and check out the little foot kick at about the 34 second mark. I wanted to post GTO by Ronnie and the Daytonas but it seemed too obvious and there wasn't anything good on YouTube...

  



3 comments:

B. Diederich said...

One of our former science teachers finally finished the restoration on his red/orange & black GTO. I got to ride in it...after I did an ink drawing of it for him! I wish I had the money to restore some vehicles. My sis-in-law still has her highschool 'cuda in storage in an old barn. My mom's getting a Studebaker redone, but its expensive. I've resigned myself to the fact that I must ride around in my "clunkers" in the summer with little hope of fixing them up for a while, but it's still fun and people still seem to like them!

Dan Johnson said...

Nice. I have a friend who's restored a couple of vehicles from the frame up... a 69 Malibu and a 442- they're awesome. You're right, it's so expensive unless you are motivated and talented enough to do a lot of the work yourself and even then... I struggle with the laundry. You have quite a way with words, "clunker" is perfect. I've always been a little partial to "shitmobile" Do you have any pictures of your "clunkers"?

B. Diederich said...

I put some little pics on one of my blogs...will have to look later. I have a '68 Jeepster Commando and a '64 Chevy truck. Forgot to latch down the hood on the Jeepster one day and it flipped off above me hitting me on the head--thank God for rollbars or it would have really hurt!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin