Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My Worst Day In Sobriety Is Better Than My Best Day Drunk--Maybe...

   In the early nineties I did a tour of duty in the cult/fellowship known as Alcoholics Anonymous. I was recruited by an acquaintance from my past whom I'll call "Bob" for the sake of anonymity. Long story but after coming to the realization I wasn't the pathetic and wretched alcoholic they tried to convince me I was (just because you're on the garbage truck, doesn't mean you have to go all the way to the dump), AA and I parted ways. I no longer saw any of my AA friends and discovered that drinking folk don't want much to do with non-drinking folk and vice-versa-- I lost contact with Bob completely.

    Quite a few years had passed and I was out for a walk one afternoon when who did I bump into but Bob. We started chatting and he told me a bit of his story. In a nutshell he said, "I've been through two bankruptcies, a divorce and recently lost my job but at least I'm fifteen years sober." I remember thinking, "Hmm...I guess."  Bob is a helluva nice guy, great sense of humour, kind-hearted, friendly, charismatic but I couldn't help but compare our two situations. Since I had been "out" (AA term for anyone who was "in the program" and went back drinking) for the last twelve years or so and I had no divorce on my resume (probably because I never married), ran a moderately successful painting business, acquired a rental property, paid off a couple of vehicles and even managed to put a little money in the bank. Bob's is not indicative of everybody's story in AA and I'm not relating this for any other reason than to say it's a damn good thing I got out when I did or there's a chance I may have gotten really good and sober...

    Here's me looking nice and relaxed with my brother-in-law and niece in the "non-drinking days"...





    

4 comments:

B. Diederich said...

I had a cuz who bragged about his AA success for years--come to find out, he's hooked on meth, abused both his wives, hardly ever holds a job, cheats and hoodwinks everyone he meets...but, yeah, he's a success!!!!

Maybe it's sorta like religion--some of the best people I know don't go to church; those that claim to be so 'faithful' are real hypocrites.

Lianne said...

I just met a friend of a friend who seems super but she doesn't eat meat, doesn't drink coffee and doesn't drink wine (and there is the whole constant yoga thing). I think, "what do we have in common?" Do I even want to start a friendship with her? I value and love my friends-- and love that we can spend hours talking -- but it's also nice to also be able to sit around with a glass or two of wine? I'm sure that this woman has a lot to offer but...? She just might be too "clean" for me. And then there is the whole beef question. My brain hurts, where's my wine?

Dan Johnson said...

Amen to both of you!

Anonymous said...

Amen to your amen, Dan.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin