Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some Thoughts On Hair...


    Everywhere today I see women with hair that is totally baked. Over-processed, over-straightened, over-worked and over-coloured. Some lids look so parched that smoking around them could prove to be hazardous. Then untold dollars are spent on various conditioners, potions and snake oils that claim to repair the damage done. When exactly did having curly or wavy hair become such a crime anyway? I remember when women wanted wave in their hair (the Toni) and who can forget that kinking iron from the late eighties-- bizarre...

      I watched Heaven Can Wait this morning--a classic...




      I've seen it all come and go over the years and I'm aware that it comes down to fashion, style and trends, but does the world really need another straight-haired blond? And what is the fascination with being blond anyway-- do they really have more fun? One thing I know for sure, I dated a couple of true blonds and I had less fun. "Straightened" hair usually looks straightened and big bucks are spent on some fairly hideous colour jobs (esp. some reds and blond Asians). It would be refreshing to see a trend toward more people sporting their natural hair shade and texture with the proper cut. Maybe add some subtle highlights or a little colour to hide the grey--as always, less is more. But then what do I know? I'm just a guy...


2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

Exactly.
What is even more bizarre are gals with perfectly straight hair already that feel they must run it through the 'iron'--even little girls!
I guess I am so far beyond society's "norms" I must be a real outcast. I have straight 'horse-hair' that looks nasty unless it has a perm. And people look at me in horror if it IS straight. So...I am doomed (thrilled!) by boings!

Dan Johnson said...

Hah! And I always thought you had naturally curly hair B...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin