Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Real Story Behind...


     A few years ago, could be eight or ten, I'm really not sure, I stopped by a buddies place for a beer after work. It was a sunny afternoon and as I pulled into the driveway behind his truck I noticed that somebody had written "Honk If You're Gay" with their finger in the dirt on his canopy window. I don't make a habit of doing these things but for some reason I rubbed out "Gay" and wrote in the now infamous "Knob"-- giggling to myself as I did, it just seemed so natural. For some reason "knob" has always been fun for me to say, as well as beandip, crab-cakes, crack-pipe, chicken boy, pot cake and Walla Walla Washington-- I'm easily amused.

     The only really funny thing I've ever seen written in the filth on a truck was the phrase, "I wish my wife was this dirty", but I digress. The saying, "Honk If You're A Knob" amused me so much I went to a hardware store and bought some of those metal letters with the adhesive on the back so we could have bumper stickers. I think there were three of us that stuck them on our vehicles and it turned out to be hilarious some of the reactions we'd get. I would forget I had the stickers on and would be driving down the highway and hear a "bee-beep" behind me. I'd be wondering what the hell they were honking at until they pulled up beside me and flashed the "thumbs up" sign. We'd have a chuckle for a sec and they'd continue on--I couldn't tell you how many times this happened over the years, folks willing to admit to their "knob-ness." One time I was stopped at a light and this kid about 14 or 15 on foot yelled at me, "I'm a knob!!" 

    Anyway, a couple of years ago I decided to have some real bumper stickers done up. A friend of mine is a printer so I awarded him the contract. I only wanted a dozen or so but it turned out that the material he needed to print the stickers on only came in these big sheets so I would have to order a minimum of 150-- of which I still probably have 130, so if anybody wants one let me know...please.

   
     The only thing that still troubles me as I write this...should I have spelled Knob without the "K"?

    

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Okay dude. I think Sabrina the Sebring is in need of one.. Hand over the sweet bumper stickers.

Dan Johnson said...

Sa-weet!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin