Monday, February 16, 2009

All I Can Say Is, Wow...



    I was listening to the radio at work today when I heard the city of Vancouver has come up with a brilliant new plan to clean up the city. They are going to start ticketing and fining people $100 for jaywalking and/or spitting on the sidewalk ($200 if you get busted doing both?And what about the honky hanky?). I don't have a problem with that really but are you freakin' kidding me!? This coming from a city that supports one of the worst drug problems in the world with the advent of the safe injection site? News flash people, heroin and crack are illegal drugs and now we're going to start fining normally law-abiding citizens for jaywalking? I don't know if anyone has been to the downtown eastside lately but it's the zombie addicts that wander blindly into traffic and throw up, urinate and defecate on the sidewalks of our city, spitting is the least of the worries. What's the fine for that? And if you were going to ticket junkies they obviously don't have the funds to pay the fine. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it really if there weren't such bigger fish to fry. I suppose the thinking must be, "We've got to start somewhere, so let's ticket people for jaywalking who are rushing to get to work because a bum spit on their car while he held them up in traffic."

    While I'm on the topic of spitting there's one more thing, well two actually. I walk around Vancouver quite a bit and if you want to see some world class spitting head to Chinatown and observe some professionals at work. Nothing like watching a 90 year old Chinese man or lady hork up an oyster for all they're worth and deposit it at your feet while waiting for the light to change. I've also noticed that teenage girls like to expectorate as well for some reason--attractive. And I just heard on the news there have been 11 gang shootings in the last two weeks...

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

This would be a perfect letter to send to your city 'editorial' columm and I think you should have them print it!

Dan Johnson said...

Thanks B. I thought about it...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin