Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Super Powers??

    When I was a kid,  Mom had busted me for some minor crime or misdemeanor I had committed  and I asked her how she knew. She replied with, "Mom's have eyes in the back of their heads." My sense of sarcasm hadn't quite caught up with hers and I remember staring at the back of her head looking for the eyes (I also really didn't know what, "You make a better door than a window" and "Close the door, we're not heating all of Burnaby" meant either). 
      I was convinced that Moms must possess some sort of  super powers because she also had this uncanny ability to detect when I was lying and know when we were getting into trouble because it was "too quiet" down there...


    As I got older I realized Moms didn't really have any super powers, they were just way smarter than their kids but I did, however, have an amazing encounter with some bionic hearing later on in life.

    "P" and I had dated for a couple of years in the late nineties and although we don't see each other that often, we're still good friends today. Which just reminded me of something a girlfriend said to me once when I boldly stated that I'm pretty much friends with all my exe's... she said, "That's what you think." Point taken...


      But I digress. At this time, I would usually go for a run Sunday mornings, shower, knock back a Caesar at home then  head over to "P"s place to decide what we were going to do for the day. This one particular Sunday (it was around noon) she wasn't quite ready so I took my place on her couch, remote in hand. She was in the bathroom running a bath so I thought I'd grab (sneak) myself a beer (any Canadian worth his salt knows that a Caesar must be washed down with an ice cold beer). Fully aware that I was likely to catch a little flack for having a brew so early (it was after noon), I took a few necessary precautions.
     I could hear the bath water running and the door was only open about six inches to a foot so I seized my chance. Making my way to the fridge I eased the door open, grabbed myself a can of Canadian and made my way back to the couch.  
     Working quickly I turned up the volume on the T.V., grabbed one of the cushions, covered the can to muffle the sound and slowly peeled back the tab. Immediately after I did "P"s voice echoed from the bathroom, "You're not having a beer already are you?!?
     I couldn't believe it! Between the running water, the volume of the idiot box and the couch cushion silencer, she somehow managed to hear the opening of that can. We laugh about it today and if I had it to do over the "quick" opening may have been a tad quieter than the slow one I attempted (like tearing a bandage off)... but it still astounds me she heard me pop that top...

3 comments:

B. Diederich said...

You know, I read my Guatemala blog this morning and I wanted to say that I was not trying to be an a$$ toward you when I wrote that...I hope you didn't think I was some harsh snot! But I do remember ridiculing my parents for such a long time...and then was so ashamed that I was wrong; I get really excited that CFCA was LEGIT and we had a great time and (despite the Catholic masses every night) it was very educational. The coffee was the best ever--fresh papaya and banana, cool plants ('razorblade' tree), mountains, weavings...we stayed in a complex with the man that started CFCA (humble and ragged)surrounded by a high fence & concertina wire. The kids got to see a mama pig give birth during the night; probably the only drawback was being surrounded by peddlers whenever they saw our vans... and no hot water in our showers...but at least we HAD them!...and the fact that we all had to stay together at all times.
We left all our clothes there and really miss our guides and interpreters--pretty fun people and a cheap vacation.

Dan Johnson said...

Bren, you lost me... which was the Guatemala blog? I never think you're a harsh snot anyway, I like your demeanor...

B. Diederich said...

Oh, sorry...I wrote about the 'donating money thing'--the little girl Yolanda.
and one of my son's friends was giving his money to.....
men in prison!

We really thought he was making a big mistake too. I guess it is hard to know which organizations are just after your money and which ones use their funding correctly. It sounds like yours was one of the scam-types...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin