Sunday, December 13, 2009

Invictus..

I haven't been to a movie for a while so I decided to check out Invictus, the true story of how Nelson Mandela joined forces with the captain of South Africa's rugby team, Francois Pienaar, to help unite their country. Great film.


Nelson Mandela used the poem Invictus as inspiration while he was incarcerated for 27 years. I'm not much of a poetry fan but this one touched me..

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

2 comments:

drollgirl said...

did you like the movie? i read a so-so review of it over the weekend.

Dan Johnson said...

It dragged it parts and was a little long but I enjoyed it. I love stories about overcoming adversity because I'm lousy at it! Morgan Freeman and Matt damon were great and I heard one critic say, "Disregard the reviews."

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin