Friday, November 16, 2007

One born every minute...


    A few months ago, amongst the other junk that comes in the mail, I received a letter from a "psychic". I had never received a letter from a "psychic" before so I opened it. I don't usually fall for this sort of stuff but the contents within was very interesting, convincing and she had also helped the FBI or the police with some investigations, so for some reason I deemed her reputable. I filled in the necessary information and was going to send it off  to her but then decided to crumple it up and throw it in the garbage.It sat in there for a day and I ended up taking it out and uncrumpling it (if that's even a word,spellcheck says it isn't), I don't know what I was hoping for but I still felt a strange compulsion to send it off...I didn't. A few weeks went by and I received a follow up letter pleading with me not to miss the chance of a lifetime, my lucky numbers were coming due etc.,etc. Curiosity got the best of me and convincing myself it was for entertainment I said "What the heck", filled out the required information, wrote a cheque for $24.95 (one month of daily readings) and mailed it.
   A couple of weeks go by and I receive a package in the mail with my readings and a cheap keychain with Michael the Archangel on it. I can't remember what he was supposed to do for me but I'm sure it was something pretty good. I opened the booklet of uninspired, generic blather, positive affirmations (everybody knows they don't work) and my lottery winning lucky numbers. I tried reading it daily for about two days, it sat on the shelf for a while and eventually made it's way to the trash.
     I thought that would have been the end of it because there had not been any mention of money or payment of any sort for subsequent readings,but the following month I received my new booklet.In the back of my mind I was troubled by this but I kind of shrugged it off because even though I didn't renew my subscription with Sports Illustrated, they continued to send me issues. (Continued...)          

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin