Saturday, July 11, 2009

Breathe..


    I have been going through an extremely difficult time recently due to an on going struggle I've always had with anxiety, obsessive thoughts and some sort of low (or maybe even high) level of depression. It has been a battle for me for years/tears (real or imagined) and for the umpteenth time I'm seeking answers. It's hard to sort out whether I'm just imagining all this pain and confusion or if it's real but one thing I know, it's always lurking just under the surface--I might say I'm "good". This may be too much information for a blog post but just thought I would put it out there in the hope that one of you fine bloggers may have a tidbit of information you may have had with your struggles.  

2 comments:

John Hartwick said...

Do you have a few days to spare? I can give you some pointers.

Shel said...

Hey Dan,

How little we know about our fellow man. I didn't know that you felt these things--I've always seen you as an OMG funny guy and completely adorable.

My ex-husband has recently had epiphanous thoughts similar to yours--more about his need to control and manipulate his environment and the people in it as a means of self-protection. (His words, not mine) He struggles alot and comes to me for understanding and support. He has also been coming off of 10 years of serious alcoholism which hasn't been easy either. He's slowly returning to the great guy he once was and inherently is.

If you'd like, I know he's been reading a couple of books to help him and I could get the titles for you. I can also offer a semi-educated ear--I feel I can impart some wisdom. I know you don't know me well, but I feel I have experience from both ends--both as a friend/wife of an anxious/depressed person and as a sufferer of depression, ADD, a bit of obsession and a smattering of alcoholism, just to keep it interesting.

Talking out loud is good therapy--it puts your obsessive thoughts out there and broken up into snippets to be discussed objectively rather than a long discussion in your head that is never solved. Find someone you trust and who wants to be there for you and start talking out loud.

Anyway, I feel your pain.

love,
shel

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin